Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Making Decisions

Recently, I began reading a book entitled, The Heart of A Woman Who Prays by Elizabeth George.  I wholeheartedly recommend that all Christian women read this book.  It's packed full of practical ways that we can make our desire to pray a reality.  Let's face it, none of us pray as much or like we should but this book has helped me dig deeper into scripture to see why I don't and what I can do to change that.  It's been a tremendous blessing to my life already and I'm not even finished reading it.  
So, what does this have to do with the title of my blog?  Several chapters in this book discuss how to make Godly decisions, or in other words, how to make right decisions. We all struggle with this in life and some decisions carry more weight than others but no matter what it may be, no decision is too great or small NOT to pray about first.  So, I want to share with you a brief section of the book called, Prayer in Making Decisions.  By all means, please read the entire book if you get the chance, but in the mean time, I pray this will bless and encourage all who read it.  

Any time we are faced with a decision in life (whether great or small) we should ask ourselves the following questions:

     1. Excess - Will this practice slow me down?
             Hebrews 12:1- Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of 
             witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so
         closely and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
     2. Expediency - Is it useful, profitable and beneficial?
         1 Corinthians 6:12 - All things are lawful for me, but not all things are 
         helpful.  All things are lawful for me but I will not be enslaved by
             anything.
      3. Emulation - Is it what Jesus would do in the same situation?
        1 John 2:6  Whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way
        in which He walked.
     4. Evangelism - Will it spread the gospel to unbelievers, enhance my 
         testimony, or serve as a strong basis for personal evangelism?  
         Colossians 4:5  Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of
         time.  
     5.  Edification - Will it build me up in Christ?
          1 Corinthians 10:31  So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
          do all to the glory of God.
     6. Example - Will this action offer my Christian brothers and sisters the 
         proper kind of example - a righteous path to follow?  Will it harm my
         weaker brothers and sisters in Christ or strengthen them?
         1 Corinthians 8:13  Therefore if food makes my brother stumble, I will 
         never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment